Friday, April 16, 2010

Integrated Arts Lesson (Feb 15)

Unfortunately I was not able to class because of some issues that have come up…
Anyways I do not feel adequate it taking about Kenzie’s lesson seeing as I was not there.
To make up for my absence I did do a tessellation activity which was what Kenzie was working with.

First, I would like to mention the relevance of Tessellation in terms of integrating art with math. Tessellation works with pattern and geometric shapes, and translation which is why it could be learned through Math. Also M.C. Escher who did study to be an architect and was a well known graphic artist is famous for his tessellation prints which was inspired by his visit to Spain. With that said, a side of social studies for history and culture could also be included while teaching tessellation.

I also remember when I was in grade one, we actually worked with a program to make tessellations. At the time, I did not understand its relevancy or reasons as to why we were working with this program. I recall correctly, the teachers I had then did not have any justification as to why they were teaching it to us. When I later learned about it in high school, it made a lot more sense and my teacher made it relevant by showing is M.C. Escher’s work and the temples in Spain that had the tessellation patterns.

For the tessellation lesson project, I chose Snake heads to make into a tessellation pattern because I find tessellations to be hypnotic just like snakes. I also decided to do a basic translation for my tessellation because that is the one I am most familiar with. I have actually made a lesson plan for Tessellations in my 393 class so I am pretty familiar with it. Also I found the site http://www.tessellations.org/ very helpful for trying to learn tessellations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home