Saturday, April 17, 2010

Museum and Gallery Experiences


Describe your most meaningful learning experience in a museum or art gallery. What elements made it so. Relate this experience to Dewey’s notion of a “good” experience.

To be honest, I do not find galleries or musuems particularly interesting. I guess there's something about looking at abstract or historical art, that doesn't really spark my interest. Most of the art in museums and galleries fall into these type of art. Also theres something about museums and galleries, where they do not let you physically interact with the work that makes it so unengaging.

Actually after writing this I realized that there are two experiences that I thought were pretty engaging. The first one was at the little gallery. The work was a dark and creepy bedroom with a sink construct. There was a drain in the mattress with a screen and some creepy noises. I find installations more engaging because it uses multi-media and is experienced through many senses. I find that this was an open experience in that it wasn't too literall which sparked your interest and curiosity, but it wasn't abstract and completely dettached from being understood. It was engaging in that it was a whole environment.

The other experience would be the wine museum in Kelowna. It was more of the souvenir area really. The person let you taste the wine and had really cool information about the different wines and the processes. I guess in this sense, it was a very interactive experience

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home